Shoulder Pain Treated by an Osteopath at Southpoint Health
The shoulder is one of the most used and complex joints of our body. People of all ages experience shoulder pain due to repetitive use and normal wear and tear. Regardless of your fitness level, you may experience shoulder pain due to injury and frequent use.
Osteopathy is a helpful and gentle process to treat your shoulder conditions. A professional osteopath will identify the cause of pain and help you get rid of your pain as early as possible.
It is very important to ensure a healthy shoulder function. Apart from routine movements, the shoulder plays a vital role in various sporting events like golf, tennis, etc. After continuous usage of the shoulder, you start experiencing pain and injuries making you realize how chronic should pain could be. Gladly, the positive thing is that osteopathy can treat the problem effectively and reducing your discomfort. In this article, we will discuss how osteopathy can treat various forms of shoulder injuries and pain.
Common Shoulder Injuries
Before you look for the solution, you must know the problem and what is causing the issue. Here are some common shoulder injuries.
- Frozen shoulder: It is usually known as adhesive capsulitis. When the shoulder capsule becomes stiff gradually, it results in freezing or limiting the shoulder movement. The tissues that surround your shoulder are responsible for it.
- Referred pain: Shoulder pain that is caused due to neck and upper back. You feel it coming from these areas.
- Shoulder instability: when you dislocate your shoulder, it is called shoulder instability.
- Osteoarthritis: Stiffness, swelling, and sharp pain that is caused by wear and tear of the shoulder joint.
- Postural tension: Due to poor posture, your shoulder and neck become stiff leading to should pain.
- Tendonitis: Due to arthritis or overuse, tendon inflammation can cause shoulder pain.
- Rotator cuff tears: When you experience pain while lifting your arm, it happens due to overuse and sports injury.
- Shoulder impingement: During shoulder movements, shoulder tendons may get trapped and compressed, which will result in chronic pain.
- Acromioclavicular joint pain: When you experience pain at the tip of your shoulder where the collarbone meets it.
These are major causes of shoulder pain. An osteopath will spend time discussing your problem and identify the issue. Once they get the root cause, they will be able to offer you pain relief in no time.
How Osteopath Treat Shoulder Pain at Southpoint Health?
Osteopathic treatment focus on reducing the pain while bringing back your shoulder to its original position. Before starting the examination, your osteopath will discuss your history. You need to share every detail including sports you play, symptoms, and other medical histories.
Once you share every detail, they will examine your shoulder to find the cause of the pain. They will address any strain through the ribs, spine, and pelvis. It will bring your muscles back to their original position.
To enhance the osteopathic treatment, you may be provided with some stretching and exercises. Moreover, you will be provided with advice regarding how to improve your lifestyle.
If you don’t notice any improvement, the osteopath will guide you to get some scanning and X-rays.
Heat and Ice Therapy For Pain Relief
Most of the people who experience shoulder pain with no swelling or bruising report improvement after heat therapy. They experience a reduction in discomfort and tension immediately.
Cool therapy is recommended for current shoulder injuries. If you have experienced a shoulder injury in the last 48 hours, you can use ice packs to reduce swelling and pain.
However, it is strictly recommended that you visit an osteopath before trying these methods.
Activity and Rest
After experiencing a shoulder injury, you must rest for some time. If you start an activity too early, you may stop the recovery process. You need to limit your activity as soon as you experience pain. Pain is your guide to understand your limits. When you speak to an osteopath, they guide you about how to handle the injury and how to speed up recovery by offering you lifestyle advice.
Shoulder pain is a common problem. People experience shoulder pain due to various reasons. It is important to avoid activities that are causing these pains. Moreover, you need to get advice from your osteopath regarding how to strengthen your muscles. It will allow you to push your limits.
Want to find an osteopath near me? Southpoint Health Miranda is a reputable osteopathy solution. Visit today to discuss your shoulder problem and get a solution as soon as possible. Remember that it is always better to address the issue immediately to avoid further complications.